What causes meniere's disease?

Dr. Thomas Benda
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Wish I knew

Any kind of insult to the inner ear might do it, but no single problem predictably causes meneire's.
In many cases a viral inner ear infection damages an area of the inner ear that leads to a change in how electrolytes are handled in those tissues. That leads to accumulation of fluid in the inner ear, which leads to the spells and hearing loss. Allergy can play a role.

In brief: Wish I knew

Dr. Thomas Benda
Dr. Thomas Benda
Dr. Christopher Nicora

In brief: Meniere's

Is a disorder of the inner ear that can affect hearing and balance to a varying degree.
It is characterized by episodes of vertigo low pitched tinnitus and hearing loss cause is not known but it is believed to be linked to endolymphatic hydrops, an excess of fluid in the inner ear.

In brief: Meniere's

Dr. Christopher Nicora
Dr. Christopher Nicora
Dr. Eric Weisman