Twisted top of foot in sandal stepping off curb. No ankle pain but left side top of foot swollen & hurts to walk. Probably a sprain? What to do?

Dr. John Munshower

In brief: R-I-C-E

Rest it, ice it, immobilize it gently by using an ACE wrap (compression), and keep it elevated.
You can try an Over the counter NSAID like Ibuprofen as well. Hope this helps. See doc if not improving daily.

In brief: R-I-C-E

Dr. John Munshower
Dr. John Munshower

In brief: Maybe not

There are a lot of possibilities.
Sprains can be quite painful and cause a lot of swelling. But stepping off of a curb is a common mechanism for several more serious issues especially in the foot more than the ankle. I recommend you see a podiatrist and get an xray.

In brief: Maybe not

There are a lot of possibilities.
Dr. Robert Hadfield
Dr. Robert Hadfield
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine