I have snapping sound that is painful in front of R hip. When I sit and bend to tie shoes it hurts badly at hip and mildly at knee. What is it? 17y F

Dr. Chiquitha Cornelius
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Not sure how long it

has been going on .
Snapping hip syndrome, sometimes called dancer's hip, is a condition in which you hear a snapping sound or feel a snapping sensation in your hip when you walk, run, get up from a chair, or swing your leg around. For most people, the condition is little more than an annoyance and the only symptom is the snapping sound or sensation itself. But for dancers or athletes, snapping hip syndrome symptoms may also include pain and weakness that interfere with performance. In most cases, snapping is caused by the movement of a muscle or tendon over a bony structure in the hip.

In brief: Not sure how long it

has been going on .
Dr. Chiquitha Cornelius
Dr. Chiquitha Cornelius
Dr. Jack Hinkle