Who gets ear infections?

Various. Various types of people can get ear infections for various reasons. One common type is called otitis media, the type of ear infection that children often get, needing antibiotics and sometimes surgical tube placement. Another common type is acute otitis externa, aka swimmer's ear. Children and adults can get this, often but not always related to water exposure.
Frequent sinus/cold. People who get frequent cold or sinus infection, post nasal drip, young children, people with tonsils or adenoid issues can get frequent ear problems. In adults it is seen with impacted wax can get infection with the same.