What is the best treatment for esophageal pain from lung cancer radiation therapy?

Dr. Kris Gast
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Radiation Esophagtis
You can use antacids to control the acid washing up from the stomach as well as meds such as nexium (esomeprazole).
I also have a liquid mix that will topically numb the surface temporarily. Taking pain medicine on a regular basis say every 4 to 6 hours will help a lot. And last but not least a break from treatment is sometimes the best of all options.

In brief: Radiation Esophagtis
Dr. Kris Gast
Dr. Kris Gast
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Treatment interruptions may help the soreness but they help the tumor regain strength. Thin topicals work better than Viscous Xylo. Better planning decreases incidence and duration
Dr. Carl Van Wey
Radiation Oncology
In brief: A few hints
Nothing totally counteracts the pain.
It is helpful to favor soft or liquid foods; avoid very hot or cold drinks; try to maintain your weight as best you can; liquid hydrocodone helps; Carafate (sucralfate) sometimes helps; liquid antacid before meals helps; viscous Lidocaine helps; anti-fungals like Nystatin liquid often help; often a feeding tube is needed; clears in 2-3 wks after radiation.

In brief: A few hints
Nothing totally counteracts the pain.
Dr. Carl Van Wey
Dr. Carl Van Wey
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Time will cure, and the step-wise incremental therapy can sustain while healing.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Time
Pain medication , topical anesthetic spray and special mouth wash have been used to relief the pain.
Go to see your radiation and medical oncologist and discuss with them about this issue- they will be able to help. The pain will gradually subside and go away. It is just a matter of time. I know it must have been tough for you, but hang in there. It will be better.

In brief: Time
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Steven Seres