Can past hard drug abuse damage the ova in a woman and cause mental retardation or birth defects?

Dr. Cristina Carballo
Pediatrics - Neonatology
In brief: No
The ova is already formed before any environmental influences.
However, after conception, current drug use can affect the baby, but not previous activity.

In brief: No
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cristina Carballo
In brief: Hard to be sure
Most feel that these are stable and not changed by drug use in the teen years or later.However, that idea is one that we have no easy way to study.
We accept that radiation throughout life and age impact the quality of eggs, it is likely drug use may also.I followed one kid whose mom was clean for pregnancy and had been clean for years but ended up with an odd chromosome deletion.

In brief: Hard to be sure