How can I manage the negative emotions associated with giving birth to a preemie?

Dr. Sue Hall
In brief: Get some help!
It is normal to feel upset, angry and sad when your pregnancy ends with birth of a premature baby.
New mothers can be overwhelmed with negative emotions, and these can trigger postpartum depression. It's important to seek support, whether from friends/family, your nicu's social worker, or a trained therapist. You need to deal with the negative feelings so you can bond with and help your baby.

In brief: Get some help!
Dr. Sue Hall
Dr. Sue Hall
Dr. Jerome Yaklic
In brief: Talk about it...
These feelings can be normal.
I recommend that you discuss your feelings openly with your partner, family & friends. Often talking about your feelings helps. If that isn't making you feel better talk to your md. Mom's of premature babies often feel guilty about the early birth - even when they did nothing wrong. If symptoms persist talk to your md and be screened for possible postpartum depression.

In brief: Talk about it...
These feelings can be normal.
Dr. Jerome Yaklic
Dr. Jerome Yaklic
Dr. Adam Levy