I have a stable L5 s1 grade 2 spondylolisthesis and it is causing me leg and back pain. Should I get a fusion surgery? Or just decompression surgery

Dr. Mehul Desai
Pain Management
In brief: Fusion
Decompression alone is unlikely to resolve the issue and is likely to worsen the situation in the long run.
Furthermore there are now more options then just posterior fusion, an anterior approach may also be an option but a good surgical opinion or opinions are needed.

In brief: Fusion
Dr. Mehul Desai
Dr. Mehul Desai
2 comments
Dr. Alexandre De Moura
Sounds like you would benefit from an anterior posterior spinal fusion
Dr. Gabor Racz
Not if it was myself or anybody I like. Depends on age.First I WOULD DO A CAUDAL AND TRANSFORAMINAL LYSIS OF ADHESIONS and one month later evaluate for facet related pain by diagnostic blocks and later possibly radiofrequency lesioning. You may never need surgery!
Dr. Will Moorehead
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Both
A stable spondylolisthesis of a grade two with associated back and leg pain will require a decompression and arthrodesis.
This should include an interbody and posterolateral fusion. Pedicle stabilization is an option especially if reduction of the anterior translation is planned. You should talk to your spinal surgeon.

In brief: Both
Dr. Will Moorehead
Dr. Will Moorehead
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: See your doc
I doubt very much that most surgeons would do a decompression only in someone with a grade 2 spondylolisthesis.
The reason for this is the liklihood for progression of the slippage without stabilization. I would advise getting more than one surgical opinion though.

In brief: See your doc
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: I think the fusion
Option it address your problem much better having said that, your surgeon will be the one he in better position to advice.
Good luck thank.

In brief: I think the fusion
Good luck thank.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Fusion
The success is higher with a fusion in this case.
Whether there should also be a decompression depends on the findings on clinical exam and on imaging of any significant nerve compression.

In brief: Fusion
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Vikram Patel