Does meningitis suggest the possibility of malignancy of a head or neck cancer?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: No

I can conjure a specific odd situation where it could, but meningitis is bacterial, common in kids with specific bacteria, and epidemically with mengococcus.
There are also terminal phases of some malignancies where malignant cells infest the meninges and cause symptoms.

In brief: No

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi

In brief: Not usually

Meningitis is an "irritation", "inflammation" or "infection" of the lining of the brain.
Many things can cause it. Infectious agents include viruses, bacteria and parasites, but metastatic tumors, primary tumors and lymphomas can all cause meningitis. In fact, bleeding into this space, can cause irritation and hence meningitis.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Marsha Davis