My knee keeps giving out on me.. It don't hurt but it just seems like its just not there sometimes. Mostly when in lifting or on stairs. Never broke.?

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Concerning

When the knee gives out to me it means you stumble or fall secondary to the knee no longer supporting your body weight.
This suggests that something maybe wrong internally with the knee particularly ligament damage or tear. You need a good physical exam of the knee and potentially an MRI of the knee.

In brief: Concerning

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: May be your back

A bad knock-knee deformity can make the knee give way becasue it is mechanically unstable, but when the problem is with the knee it usually feels like it wants to give out, but doesn't actually do it.
When the knee just goes out on you like its not there; its typically a pinched nerve in your back. Do you have any back pain or numbess with this?

In brief: May be your back

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine