Can asthma get worse over time? I have leared to control it, with working out. Right now I am having trouble walking up the stairs. This is not right.

Dr. Gary Kohn
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

You need to see your doctor asap as you may not be under as good control as you suggest.
Your symptoms could indicate an asthma exacerbation that requires intervention or another medical problem not related to your asthma.

Dr. Gary Kohn
Dr. Gary Kohn
Dr. Martin Ostro
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not progressive

Asthma is not a progressive condition that necessarily gets worse over time but it does wax and wane.
Asthma will temporarily get worse with viral respiratory infections, during pollen season, on contact with cold air or irritating fumes, etc. When asthma gets worse medication will help to rapidly bring the symptoms under control. You need to contact your md to get assessed and treated.

In brief: Not progressive

Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Shontae Buffington