4 month neg HIV test brief unprotected encounter with female is this conclusive 3 2ndgenantibodies test neg three rapids neg and a PCR undetectable ?

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Probably, clarify.

The standard HIV test is first the elisa, for screening, and then the western blot for specificity.
The western blot is done if the elisa test is positive. Nucleic acid tests, like pcr, are used in testing donor blood. Although the basic tests can be extermely accurate there is a chance of false negatives due to the up to 6 month seroconversion time it takes to make antibodies. See my comment.

In brief: Probably, clarify.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
3 comments
Dr. Joseph Woods
I expect you to be negative since iinfected and false negative people usually take 30 days to seroconvert, and all those results were neg. But if you had that encounter, then the tests, and have been negative for 4 months, there might still be a chance since it can take 6 months. It would be wise to see the doctor, tell him/her of this, and contact that female if you can so she can get tested.
Dr. Joseph Woods
That is good.
Dr. Adam Smith