I have pain on the outside of my foot by my ankle, but no bruising and no swelling. It hurts when I walk, haven't tried running. Any ideas?

See a podiatrist. If this is a chronic problem, you have to rule out a fracture or a tendonitis, or both. You may have injured it without knowing. If you haven't already done so, i would suggest having it properly examined and get x-rays. If you continue to walk with pain, you risk injuring it more, changing the way you are walking and creating a new problem because of compensation. Get it checked!
Pain in foot/.ankle. I assume you are a runner? Several things come to mind. Stress fracture of the 5th mt, tendonitis of the peroneus tendons, bony contusion to 5th MT (outside bone in foot). Try icing 20-30min on then 20-30 min off and OTC dose of anti-inflamatory liek advil, motrin, aleve (naproxen) per label directions(provided there is no reason for you NOT to take them) No running. If no better 10-14 days see doc.