How is vulvar cancer staged?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Read below
Staging is a way of describing a cancer, such as where it is located, if or where it has spread, and if it is affecting the functions of other organs in the body.
Doctors use diagnostic tests to determine the cancer's stage, so staging may not be complete until all of the tests are finished. Knowing the stage helps the doctor to decide what kind of treatment is best and can help predict a patient'.

In brief: Read below
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: Stages I - IV
Stage i vulvar cancer is limited to only the vulva.
Stage ii means the cancer has invaded surrounding structures (like the anus). Stage iii indicates spread to the lymph nodes. Stage IV is when the cancer has spread (metastasized) to distant parts of the body.

In brief: Stages I - IV
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology
In brief: Vulvar cancer
I - local disease < 2 cm; no nodes ii - local disease >= 2 cm; no nodes iii - disease involves anus, lower vagina or one side nodes IV - distant mets, both side nodes, or bladder/ rectum.

In brief: Vulvar cancer
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler