I don't want to use sterroids to treat my 3 month olds eczema. What safer options do I have? Severe eczema runs in my family.

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology
In brief: Elidel (pimecrolimus)
My son, now 15 months, has had problems with eczema since he was born.
Extremely bad patches on his cheeks that would often begin to bleed because he would scratch them so much. We tried using several non-rx creams from aveno to aquaphor. Then we tried a prescrption steroid. Nothing seemed to work. Elidel (pimecrolimus) cleared his face up after the first 3 days of use. Now we use it only as it flares up.

In brief: Elidel (pimecrolimus)
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
In brief: Why ?
Other than having some bad press, I see no reason to avoid them.Steroids are produced by the human body as a natural response to stress.
When used properly they can be helpful in eczema, as can many other lotions and skin care rituals.Pimecrolimus and similar meds can be helpful but also have risks.Your best bet is to find a Pedi Dermatologist and come up with a plan that works for you.

In brief: Why ?
Dr. Shontae Buffington