Do I need surgery for rotator cuff tendinosis and shoulder instability? I can't reach behind my back at all and am limited in raising my arm

Dr. Jeffrey Visotsky
Occupational Medicine

In brief: GIRD

Sounds like glenohumeral internal rotational deficit.
Usually resolved with therapy

In brief: GIRD

Usually resolved with therapy
Dr. Stephen Southard

In brief: This depends ..

You need to make sure you have a formal evaluation by a medical professional, ideally an orthopedic surgeon to make sure this is no concerning weakness, nerve compromise or suggestion of dislocation or bony compromise.
If it really is just a case of rotator cuff tendinopthy and impingement then you may benefit from physical therapy and a possible steroid injection. Surgery is a last option!

In brief: This depends ..

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: See details

It depends what the examination and MRI of the shoulder show.
A pure tendinitis often responds to NSAIDs, physical therapy and possibly cortisone injections.

In brief: See details

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Diagnose first

You first need to diagnose the true problem or injury before any surgical or non-surgical treatment can be recommended.

In brief: Diagnose first

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine