My 6 year old has a sore throat. It's been over a week. What do I need to do?

Dr. Mark Patterson

In brief: See the doctor

A sore throat is just a symptom, it does not tell you what the cause is.
Sore throats can be due to strep, viruses, post-nasal drainage, etc. If it has been going on for over a week, i would suggest having him see the doctor to try and determine the cause. That way they can help determine the appropriate treatment.

In brief: See the doctor

Dr. Mark Patterson
Dr. Mark Patterson

In brief: Clock is ticking

The basic issue with sore throats is whether it is strep A or not.
If strep A goes untreated it can trigger rheumatic heart disease in about 1/200 patients (we don't know which ones). If it is strep & you treat within 10 days of first symptoms you can stop that process & end the illness in the patient.

In brief: Clock is ticking

Dr. Cindy Juster