My insulin levels came back at 72. I was told this was 3 times the highest of normal reference range. What does this mean and is it serious?

Dr. Kathleen Hands
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Insulin resistance s
Yes, serious, need to lose weight.
If you are not diabetic, you're about to become one as your pancreas cannot keep up with the demands with your diet. Lose the carbs and give your pancreas a break.

In brief: Insulin resistance s
Yes, serious, need to lose weight.
Dr. Kathleen Hands
Dr. Kathleen Hands
Dr. Allen Seely
AGREED: Losing weight is recommended but @ a reasonable rate ~1-2 #/week MAX
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: LIKELY PRE-Diabetes
Yes, normal fasting Insulin level=5-20 .
High insulin, even with normal blood sugar, may indicate that the pancreas is working harder than normal to lower the blood-sugar level. This is "insulin resistance syndrome." this is seen in overweight people with pcos & pre-diabetes. Another important reason for measuring the blood Insulin level is to diagnose or evaluate low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).

In brief: LIKELY PRE-Diabetes
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Marsha Davis