I'm considering taking elavil or tofranil (imipramine) for depression. Which is best?

They're very similar. Elavil (amitriptyline) (amitripyline) and tofranil (imipramine) are both tricyclic antidepressants, an older category. While they are effective against depression, both can cause antihistamine-like effects e.g., sedation, dry mouth, dry eyes, constipation, and temporary trouble focusing vision. Elavil (amitriptyline) does this a little more, so tofranil may be better unless elavil's extra sedation helps.
Both r good. These r old tricyclics antidepressants that r as effective as the newer ones but have more side effects--dry mouth constipation hot flashes etc Elavil (amitriptyline) is more sedating of the two the both can cause cardiac changes in high doses--some people do well on one and some on the other--if someone in your family is doing well on one pick it.
Depression. Your doctor can evaluate & provide the best advice.
The best. Medication of any kind is the one that works for you with the fewest side effects.