Specifically for athletes foot, can u use penlac (ciclopirox)?

No. Penlac (ciclopirox) is made to use on mycotic toenail not on the skin for athletes foot.
Not recommended. Penlac (ciclopirox) is an expensive medication. The indication is for a fungal infection of the toenail. Even there, the success rate is very low. The package insert states about 8% so there are much better alternatives. Also, Penlac (ciclopirox) is prescritpion. One can obtain a over the counter medication at the local pharmacy.
Not indicated . Penlac (ciclopirox) is indicated for the treatment of nail fungus or onychomycosis. While both caused by a fungus there are far better options for the treatment of athletes foot.