If I had colon cancer do I need to find center in surgical oncology?

No. You just need to find a surgeon who has experience with colon cancer surgery. Ask them how many they have done and ask around. Just because a surgeon is at a university, it does not mean they are the best. But get a second opinion. No reason not to. Hope this helps.
Most colorectal. Surgery can be done by a general surgeon. However, particularly if there is a "low lying" rectal lesion, you may want a surgeon with vast experience in "low anterior resections. Many general hospitals have these surgeons on staff; unfortunately not all "cancer centers" do, even the bona fide nci designanted ones.
If its localized. For colon cancer that has not spread to another organ on ct you will need a surgeon, yes!
Cancer center. Find a comprehensive cancer center with full range of doctors, nurses, and other services. These usually offer widest range of treatments.
If it is resectable. If there is no evidence that cancer has spread somewhere- & if it is resectable- you will need to see a colorectal surgeon. If cancer has spread to distant organ- in almost all cases-you will probably not need to see a surgeon - unless- if metastatic disease is very limited and surgery can be done to remove the lesion- after chemo or if there is evidence of obstruction- you need to see a surgeon.
Surgical rx for crc. Many general surgeons can more than adequately excise colon cancer. However there is medical literature suggesting better outcomes when surgery is performed by a fellowship trained colorectal surgeon.
? center. If one has resectable (i.e. Found at a decent stage) colon cancer, one does not necessarily need to go to a "center for surgical oncology" (ex: md anderson, dana farber) for surgery. Surgery or resection of the cancer can be done by a general surgeon in your area.