Should I ask my gyno about treatments such as Restylane (dermal fillers) and sculptra?

Dr. Annette Occhialini
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Ask? Why not
I would recommend you discuss this with your gynocologist sure, but i would consult a physician with experience with injectables for the actual treatment.
This is usually a plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

In brief: Ask? Why not
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Annette Occhialini
2 comments
Dr. Richard Tholen
Unless you are the type of person that thinks EVERY doctor should be capable of doing brain surgery or delivering babies, leave injectable fillers to experts in surgical anatomy of the face and facial skin.
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
I agree. As a physician, If you can't manage the complications resulting from your procedure, you shouldn't be doing it.
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: Fillers
If you plan to have fillers injected into your face, you are in better hands with a surgeon who understands facial anatomy.

In brief: Fillers
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Go to a specialist
Each specialty has it's own defined area of expertise.
A gyn is an expert in problems of the female reproductive system. Plastic surgeons and dermatologists are the experts in issues of the skin....And that's where i think you should go. Would you go to a car mechanic to get your watch fixed?

In brief: Go to a specialist
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Dr. David Levens
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: It can't hurt to ask
My prejudice is that physicians should practice within the parameters of their clinical privileges and core curriculum. While your ob-gyn may well be your closest and favorite personal physician, he or she is not the most qualified to be performing full facial rejuvenation treatments (including providing all options and caring for complications).
Ask for a referral to a plastic or derm surgeon.

In brief: It can't hurt to ask
Dr. David Levens
Dr. David Levens
Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Sculptra
Ask your Gyno about restylane (dermal fillers) and Sculptra? what am I missing here? What are you asking? you can ask your Gyno what ever you want but what are you asking us? What is the filler being used for?

In brief: Sculptra
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: GYN Sculptra
Sculptra is only offered by certain core specialties and gyn is not one of them. However your gyn might be trained in restylane (dermal fillers).

In brief: GYN Sculptra
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
Dr. Tanveer Janjua
2 comments
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
I would ask a plastic surgeon about Sculptra if you are really interested in it.
Dr. Richard Tholen
Would you have your baby delivered by a plastic surgeon, or heart surgery by your family doc? See an expert in cosmetic surgery--Your ABPS-certified plastic surgeon--for Sculptra and HA fillers. Let your gyno practice in his/her own specialty!
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dermatology
In brief: See an expert
The doctors with the most experience injecting fillers are aesthetically trained specialists such as dermatologists and plastic surgeons.
To have the best results, experience and training count.

In brief: See an expert
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Ask vs. perform
Your gynecologist may be able to recommend a facial plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist for consultation regarding those treatments.
Sculptra is a great product for volume replacement, but is only administered by trained (facial) plastic surgeons and dermatologists. The expertise of these appropriately trained doctors will help ensure the best results. Good luck.

In brief: Ask vs. perform
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. H. William Song
Aesthetic Medicine
Many gynecologist are doing cosmetic procedures as well.
The company that makes sculptra will only sell the product to plastic surgeons and dermatologists so the gyn may not be able to treat you. Sculptra can cause hard nodules that need to be removed surgically. I'm not a big fan. Restylane (dermal fillers) is safe and can be revered if needed.

Dr. H. William Song
Dr. H. William Song
Dr. John Hoffmann
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Ask about experience
You should seek a provider that has extensive training and experience in the use of various facial fillers.
Most often this would be a facial plastic surgeon, a general plastic surgeon or a dermatologist.

In brief: Ask about experience
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. Richard Tholen