Retinal surgery doctor can get rid of floaters?

Dr. Keshav Narain
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Theoretically, yes.

Vitrectomy can be used to eliminate floaters surgically, but carries some risks.
Most significant is the risk of early cataract followed by retinal detachment and infection. I admit that these are very rare occurrences, but if the floater doesn't bother you much, why take the chance? So, it is done when benefit outweighs risk and you fully understand all the risks. So, proceed with caution.

In brief: Theoretically, yes.

Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Mark Michels
Ophthalmology

In brief: Floaterectomy

Vitrectomy surgery is often a part of successful retinal surgery for other indications.
The vitrectomy has the nice side effect that it usually takes care of floaters. Vitrectomy for floaters alone is not considered the standard of care since, besides floaters, these eyes usually see well and the risk of surgery for floaters only USUALLY does not outweigh the benefits

In brief: Floaterectomy

Dr. Mark Michels
Dr. Mark Michels
Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Ophthalmology

In brief: Remove Floaters

A skilled vitreo-retinal surgeon can remove floaters.
Floaters are caused by the natural aging process of the vitreous gel. The newest techniques of vitreous replacement still carry about a 1% risk of retinal detachment and a very high liklihood of causing cataracts. I personally have had cataract surgery followed by 25 guage vitrectomy to remove floaters which bothered me for over 50 years.

In brief: Remove Floaters

Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery