What would cause a bacterial eye infections? Retinal surgery?

Many potential cause. There are many potential causes of bacterial eye infection. Among the most common are: direct contact with dirty hands; working in garden and splattering soil in eye; using old contaminated eye makeup or eyedrops; sharing someone else's eyedrops; trauma; overwearing contact lenses including sleeping in them. In all cases you should see your eye md immediately.
Several things could. Depending on where the bacterial infection is, it can be caused by any type of eye surgery. Every eye surgery increases the risk of infection by breaking the skin or conjunctival barrier. The most common type of eye infections are conjunctivitis and blepharitis. These are not typically associated with surgery. Though rare, retinal surgery can cause infection.