Pediatric ophthalmology or optometry or optician or what for 6 year old first visit for glasses?

Pediatric ophthal. The entry point for any child needing eye care should be a pediatric ophthalmologist or if none is available, a general ophthalmologist. Opticians can fit glasses from a prescription the ophthalmologist gives them. An optometrist is trained on adults almost exclusively and is not given the skills to deal with the broad range of possible problems a child might have.
Whatever it takes. The general ophthalmologist or pediatric ophthalmologist would be preferred. Lacking this, an optometrist can screen for disorders as can an astute pediatrician. If the optometrist cannot produce excellent vision with glasses, or if there is a family history of unusual problems, see the md- medical doctor-ophthalmologist.