How serious are the symptoms of a uterine fibroid?

Depends on symptoms. Anyone can get a uterine fibroid, which is an overgrowth of muscle cells in the shape of a ball. Like moles on the skin, they come in different sizes/shapes; RARELY cancerous. You only need surgery if you have symptoms like pain/pressure/incontinence/bleeding/bloating. Size/location don't matter. Lupron (leuprolide) or embolization are ways to control w/out surgery. US follow up is very important.
Varies. Fibroids can have no symptoms (asymptomatic) or cause pain, pressure, frequent urination, constipation or bleeding. Look at www.ask4ufe.com for information.