What to do if I have bone marrow edema in a lot of parts of my foot/ankle (talus, etc.) I am wondering what is the difference between this and avascular necrosis?

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: Avascular necrosis

Marrow edema, like swelling anywhere else in the body, is a nonspecific response to any number of inflammatory, infectious, traumatic, vascular, autoimmune, arthritic, or neoplastic processes.
Avascular necrosis, bone "death" due to insufficient blood supply, is one of many entities that can be associated with marrow edema.

In brief: Avascular necrosis

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Avascular necrosis

Is when the bone dies due to lack of blood, bone marrow edema is swelling within the confines of the bone.
Did you have any kind of trauma to the bone ?

In brief: Avascular necrosis

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine