What to do if I have been taking Xanax (alprazolam) for 3 weeks for panic attacks due to having to start. I was wondering if I would get any withdrawal symptoms?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: How much, how often

The best ultimate treatment, long-term, for people with panic disorder is SSRI/SNRI antidepressants such as Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor (venlafaxine) and others.
Benzos should be used only until those drugs kick in and/or for breakthrough symptoms. If you have been taking them every day at least 3 times a day for 3 weeks, there may be at least mild withdrawal. The best solution is to taper the Xanax slowly

In brief: How much, how often

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Eric Weisman