What types of surgical procedures are performed to treat pancreatic cancer?

It depends. A whipple operation is appropriate for patients with pancreas cancer in the "head" part of the pancreas gland, but patients with adenocarcinoma in the tail part of the pancreas can be eligible for a procedure called "distal pancreatectomy" where only the tail portion is removed. This is generally a much safer operation that is easier to recover from. Talk to your doctor about your options.
Depends on location . Some tumors of the body and tail can be managed by distal pancreatectomy. Those in the head usually require pancreaticoduodenectomy or whipple procedure. Occasionally a total pancreatectomy is required for tumors that spread along the pancreatic duct. Adequate lymph node removal is needed and rarely portions of adjacent organs are resected.
Whipple surgery. This is a big operation, but has the best chance of cure. Unfortunately, minority of pancreatic cancer patients can undergo this procedure. Pancreatic cancer is typically found at the later stages where this operation is not possible.