I always seem to have trouble pooping and it is nearly impossible to get a bowel movement without a stool softener/lax. Healthier alternatives?

Dr. Andrew Malinchak

In brief: Constipation

Slowly start increasing your fiber intake to a goal of 25-30 gms/day.
Increase water intake as well. Eat foods high in fiber like veggies, fruits with the skin on, salads, cereals like Bran (in all its varieties)/Wheaties/Cheerios/Wheatabix, etc. Also 100% whole wheat bread/pasta/noodles, oatmeal.

In brief: Constipation

Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Howard Brown
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Suggested action

I would advise the ingestion of at least 8, 8oz glasses of water every day.
If that is not helpful have your physician review your prescriptions for any that are associated with constipation or obstipation The next step would be medication appropriate for you. namely , lactulose, Amitiza (lubiprostone) or Linzess

In brief: Suggested action

Dr. Howard Brown
Dr. Howard Brown
Dr. Jack Hinkle