Vision impairment/vitreous issues. How bad or big are floaters that require surgery?

Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends

It all depends on how the floaters bother you and affect your activities of daily living.
There is risk with any surgery, but if your symptoms are bad enough, consider vitrectomy (surgery) wait one year to see how the symptoms are before proceeding to surgery.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Michael Ham
Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends on symptoms

Floaters really don't require surgery.
Surgery will be elective. Even modern 25 guage vitreous surgery is not without complications, however. There is still a 1% risk of retinal detachment and a very high likelihood of the development of cataracts. My own vitrectomy was not done until after my cataracts were removed in spite of a lifelong history of very bothersome floaters.

In brief: Depends on symptoms

Floaters really don't require surgery.
Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery