I have a ganglion cyst on my right & it is really painful.The surgeon will not take it out because it is too deep.My hand, wrist & fingers swollen Do?

Dr. Adam Lewis
Neurosurgery

In brief: Ganglion cyst

Obtain a second opinion or ask for clarification from the surgeon.
Perhaps the cyst is not causing any problems and you misunderstood the surgeon's reason(s) for not operating. Ganglion cysts are filled with synovial fluid and are an out-pouching of the joints or tendons. Surgical excision remains the primary treatment but sometimes they are aspirated or injected with cortisone.

In brief: Ganglion cyst

Dr. Adam Lewis
Dr. Adam Lewis
Dr. Janiece Stewart
Sports Medicine

In brief: Pain medication

You can try Ibuprofen or Aleve (naproxen) as needed for the pain and swelling.
It is common for these cysts to recur even if removed surgically. They also tend to be more painful when they are deeper in the joint. Sometimes steroid injections can help if your doctor is willing to try it. Or, look for a doctor in your area using ultrasound to guide injections and see if he/she would be willing to inject

In brief: Pain medication

Dr. Janiece Stewart
Dr. Janiece Stewart
Dr. Bradley Butkovich
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ganglion Cysts

can be quite painful.
If in fact is is the culprit of your pain then surgery is always an option. Most ganglion cysts are relatively easily removed depending on where they are. I would get a second opinion.

In brief: Ganglion Cysts

can be quite painful.
Dr. Bradley Butkovich
Dr. Bradley Butkovich