Is there any possible way that my doctor could have mistakin cancer on an MRI of my upper back for arthritis?

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Not likely

I understand your concern as i assume you are having significant pain in your back.
However, cancer and arthritis usually appear very different on mris. First, tell your doctor (who ordered the mri) about your concern about cancer. He or she may view the MRI personally or ask a second radiologist to check again for the possibility of cancer. Cancer is always looked for in cases of back pain.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser

In brief: MRI

Possible? Lots of things are possible.
Probable? Not likely. Cancer usually looks very different on an MRI than arthritis on mri. If you are very worried, a second opinion by a different doctor may soothe your fears.

In brief: MRI

Possible? Lots of things are possible.
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Maybe

There are different ways of doing mri.
Some will tell these processes apart. Others can't. If you had a lesion that was not seen, ask your doctor to explain. Good luck with you future treatment.

In brief: Maybe

There are different ways of doing mri.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Arnon Rubin