Ivf beta hCG numbers 1st 9 days post 5 day transfer 67, 4 days later 78, 2 days later 80 and 2 days later 165. Definite chemical pregnancy or ectopic?

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Can't say yet

We can't diagnose your pregnancy over the internet.
67 is an ok first beta, but it should rise by at least 50% every 48 hours. There is a slim chance that this could be a normal pregnancy, but more likely a biochemical pregnancy (hcg levels go up then down, never get high enough to see pregnancy on ultrasound), a miscarriage, or an ectopic. If severe pain/bleeding go to er. Your md will follow you.

In brief: Can't say yet

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
11 comments
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Sorry. Wasn't trying to be smug. I meant that Imaging (ultrasound, Doppler flow) is part of the diagnosis, and an MRI scan sometimes helps when ultrasound is unclear. Tone is hard to convey in a 400 character limit and I don't use emoticons for serious matters. It smells like an ectopic, meaning I can't prove it but I am suspicious that your beta was basically stuck in the 70-80 range for 6 days.
Dr. Khurram Rehman
I understand that this is a tough time. It might not be an ectopic. If your beta starts to fall, we relax a little as it's a biochemical pregnancy or a resolving ectopic but still need to follow you closely. Personally I would get an ultrasound and a repeat beta but there are many 'correct' ways to go from here. Only a 2-3% chance of ectopic after IVF but it needs to be considered at this point.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham