I was told I had a benign follicular adenoma after a fna on my thyroid nodule.  is it possible to know this without surgery?

Dr. Brendan Stack Jr.
Surgery - Head & Neck
In brief: Cytology
Looking at a cellular aspirate is the first line test for evaluating a thyroid nodule.
It should be collected under ultrasound guidance to ensure the sample is from the nodule. The accuracy is 90%. If there are doubts, the sample slides can be reviewed by a reference expert cytologist. Additionally, molecular testing can be done on material obtained at biopsy or on the pathology slides.

In brief: Cytology
Dr. Brendan Stack Jr.
Dr. Brendan Stack Jr.
The fna (fine needle aspiration) will gather a small sample of cells from the nodule, which will allow the pathologist to determine what kind of growth it is.
Congrats on it being benign!

Congrats on it being benign!
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Mark Deutsch
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Cannot be certain
Follicular thyroid lesions can only be differentiated as mailgnant with surgery.
When the specimen is reviewed by the pathologist if there is capsular invasion, vascular invasion, or lymphatic invasion then the diagnosis is follicular carcinoma and not follicular adenoma.

In brief: Cannot be certain
Dr. Mark Deutsch
Dr. Mark Deutsch
Dr. Scott Hackett
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Can't tell
For a follicular neoplasm of the thyroid one cannot tell from a needle biopsy if it is a benign adenoma or a malignant carcinoma.
At least this half of the thyroid needs to be removed for diagnosis.

In brief: Can't tell
Dr. Scott Hackett
Dr. Scott Hackett
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery