My two year old's penis is swollen and very red! it hurts him to pull it back and clean it. I've put diaper rash cream. No change. What else can I do?

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Don't pull it back
Now requires neosporin or Bacitracin oinment.
May need some oral antibiotics if it does not respond quickly.Parents should not pull back, baby's, toddlers or little boys foreskins.Foreskin was designed to protect the penile glans & not retracted early. Retraction should wait until a boy is old enough to do it himself. U may have been given incorrect advice by a circumcised dr or well-meaning nurse.

In brief: Don't pull it back
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Charles Owen
Thanks, Dr. Klauber. Good to know. Response from poster indicates child IS circumcised. Does that change answer? Have seen retained smegma causing this, although not usually in 2 year old.
Dr. Charles Owen
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Wash and watch
Question implies non-circumcised? The longer it has existed, the more dramatic any increase in symptoms, the more red, hot, and painful, and the more extensive, the more compelling that it be looked at by a doctor. Clean with gentle soap/water, careful attention to fully retracting then replacing the foreskin, simple antibiotic ointment, and close obs.
Dr visit if worried or not improving 12-24 hr.

In brief: Wash and watch
Dr. Charles Owen
Dr. Charles Owen
Dr. Cindy Juster