I am a 39 year old woman, how much of a risk is it to get my tubes untied?

Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Usually very low

If you are a healthy 39 year old a tubal reversal is extremely low risk surgery.
If you have medical problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, or you've had significant pelvic surgery before, then the reversal surgery could be a bit riskier. An important risk of tubal reversal surgery is that it may not be possible to repair one or even either tube.

In brief: Usually very low

Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Reversal risks

In experienced hands, you should feel comfortable getting this procedure done at your age.
The risks are there as with any other surgery, including bleeding, infection, and complications associated with anesthesia.

In brief: Reversal risks

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe