If I had silver mercury amalgam dental fillings, can I change to a safer material?

You can change them. if you want, but that's not going to make you any healthier.. there is no scientifically proven risk, only internet trash. Amalgams have been used or over 150 years: you'd think by now we would know if they were detrimental to your health. I would change them as your silver fillings break down and need replacement anyway, but it's your call.
Of course you can. but if not broken why fix it? It may last you for a lifetime. Only if esthetics is an issue. Take care.