I am a runner and have varicose veins. A massagetherapist told me that I should get compression tights?Do the tights make any difference?

Graduated compression tights or socks can improve your venous circulation.
When you have varicose veins, there is a backward flow of blood, pooling of blood in the legs, instead of going up to the heart. It is a genetic disease. The socks push the blood back into your deep veins, decrease the vein dilatation, and enhance the calf muscle pump action.

Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: They do help
Light weight compression stockings for runners have become very popular in recent years.
Many manathoners use them and studies have shown that their times are improved when they wear them. There is also evidence to suggest that runners with varicose veins do better if they have their vein problems corrected. Try stockings but see a phlebologist.

In brief: They do help
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Sorry, I didn't have enough room to say more. A phlebologist is a vein specialist. You can find one in your area at www.phlebology.org.
Dr. Kirk Charles
Surgery - Vascular
Compression stockings/tights will keep the veins from bulging so you do not get pain and swelling.
If you do not have symptoms then it is optional to wear the stockings. They can be uncomfortable. Exercise helps to decompress the vein system so the pressure does not build up in it. No need to stop exercising.

Dr. Kirk Charles
Dr. Kirk Charles
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Varicose veins
Yes it will help.

In brief: Varicose veins
Yes it will help.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery