My son who's 6 years old has chicken pox; what happens if my seven week old baby gets it?

Dr. Barry Bergman

In brief: May get it

If you (mom) had chickenpox then your baby will have some immunity and may not get the disease but if not the baby can get the disease.
This can be more severe in young infants so talk with your doctor as to the options.

In brief: May get it

Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Barry Bergman

In brief: Not much

If you had chickenpox as a kid, the infant is likely partially protected and unlikely to have a problem.Kids with partial immunity can have a few spots & seem vulnerable to another episode later, so a vaccination later would still be indicated.
If you never had the cp, baby could have a significant case.Follow closely & seek care with your dr as needed.

In brief: Not much

Dr. Peter Kurzweil