My child has been exposed to whooping cough from his friend. What do I do?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: CHILD EXPOSED PERTUS

If your child had all the baby shots then you dont have to worry, he/she is protected and if he comes with disease it may be mild, but if he has not been immunised then you have to consult your pediatrician if the child start with cough and he/she can start the baby on antibiotics.
In usa fortunately majority of babies get immunised in first 18 months against whooping cough.

In brief: CHILD EXPOSED PERTUS

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Call your doc

The recommendations for care vary by the intensity of exposure and whether or not others in his school/room/daycare have also been diagnosed.
Even if fully immunized in early childhood, the state may recommend treatment to prevent carriage/spread of the germ in the community.

In brief: Call your doc

Dr. Shontae Buffington