My 4 month old baby was diagnosed with asthma yesterday. Isn't that too young to get it?

Dr. Barry Bergman
In brief: Bronchiolitis
At 4 months old wheezing is usually caused by certain viral illnesses and they sound like asthma, but officially you can't really lable them as asthmatic.
Having said that many (40-60+%) have wheezing later in infancy and childhood and truly bcome asthmatic. At 4 months the terminololgy is bronchiolitis.

In brief: Bronchiolitis
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Martin Ostro
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Never too young
People are born with the genetic tendency to develop asthma.
Asthmatic symptoms can start anytime after birth. With currently available meds almost all asthmatics can be well controlled and lead a normal life, for example 20% of the last us summer olympic team was asthmatic. Consult an allergist to determine optimal management.

In brief: Never too young
Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Within this age group there are many causes of wheezing which may be related to structural changes in the lung as well. Asthma symptoms also may be triggered in this age group by infection. If there is a family history of asthma, there is more likelihood of your child developing asthma. PRMG Peds fax 858 442 6146 for record review/?s
In brief: I wouldn't call it
Since about 60% of wheezing in infants disappears by school age I never use it that young and am always suspicious of its use.
A kid of 2 asthmatic parents with eczema may eventually be shown to have asthma, but there is so much overlap with those just having infection related wheezing, I just don't call it that young.

In brief: I wouldn't call it
Dr. Shontae Buffington