What is lower GI series in detecting colon cancer?

An xray. Lower GI series or barium enema is an xray performed after a 1-2 day cleansing of your bowel, wherein a radiologist gives you an enema with radio opaque contrast or barium and takes xrays of the inside of your colon looking for polyps or tumors or inflammation. It is a reasonable although not the best test for colon cancer screening.
Barium enema. Imaging after adequate bowel prep- clean out, done with inserted contrast. Allows visualization of tumors, narrowing, diverticula etc. Colonoscopy is direct visualization of the bowel wall internally with the scope. Each can have value in detecting lesions.