I've been on Xanax (alprazolam) 1mg EXTENDED RELEASE everyday for 12 days. Been having horrible dizzy spells so doc said quit taking it. Can I suddenly stop it?

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) ER

The extended release preparation of Xanax, (alprazolam) like many other timed release meds will taper itself after discontinuing.
This is because of the long half life, which causes a gradual decrease in blood levels and therefore tissue and cellular levels of the drug.based on the design of the tablet or capsule and how it allows the release of active drug.

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) ER