Can getting the flu shot while pregnant harm your baby?

Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: Nope

Just the opposite, the flu shot protects the mom from influenza which between october to february can be serious enought to hospitalize pregnant women.
It's highly recommended for all pregnant women during flu season. Make sure the inactivated type is used (not the nasal spray). Your doc should have summary sheets that give you more details.

In brief: Nope

Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano

In brief: No & might save both

The inactivated flu vaccine is recommended in pregnancy & a great idea.
One of the saddest days I've had was discharging a newborn to go home with grandma after mom died of flu complications in 2009. We lost two pregnant moms that year in my town. Pregnancy does increase risk of complications with the flu. The vaccine is not perfect but it is better than nothing.

In brief: No & might save both

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: No

Studies have not demonstrated any adverse effects to the baby of maternal flu shot.
A serious flu infection in the mom can have serious effects upon the pregnancy and fetus. Immunize!

In brief: No

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Shontae Buffington