I'm trying to quit smoking. Dr. says chantix isn't a good idea from past problems with depression and migraines. Any suggestions?

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Have to be careful

Chantix is effective, but I do see that you have depression, and Chantix can definitely make this worse.
It has also been associated with suicide attempts. So, I would be very careful with Chantix in your case. Better to talk about this in detail with your doctor.

In brief: Have to be careful

Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Tobacco company efforts to link varenecline ("Chantix") with suicide and depression have been thoroughly studied and found to be untrue. Here is one large very well done study that supports this. Conchrane reviews synthesizing all the data, also suggest no link to adverse psyhciatric effects of varenecline. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30272-0/abstra
Dr. Eric Weisman