My 16 year old hits me during his temper tantrums what do I do?

Dr. Sonia Rapaport

In brief: Get help

You don't say if your son has any underlying conditions such as autism, but allowing a 16 year old to hit you is teaching him to be abusive.
If he does have another condition, get specialized help (behavioral training). If not, get help for yourself, for him, and for the family. Domestic violence is dangerous for everyone involved.

In brief: Get help

Dr. Sonia Rapaport
Dr. Sonia Rapaport
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Since he can hurt

You, you have 3 options.
1) call your local police department & arrange a tour of the juvenile detention center where he'll be taken the next time he hits - no warnings, no talking, just call the cops. 2) ask the admissions team of a child psych hospital to assess him because his behaviors are "a danger to others." 3) take him to a mental health professional for diagnosis & therapy. Don't wait.

In brief: Since he can hurt

You, you have 3 options.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke