Is it safe to have a CTA of coronaries. I had CTPA to rule out PE but my kidneys were aching for days after the CTPA. Should I ask for reg angiogram?

Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: Depends on why

Whether you have a CT angiogram of the coronaries or a coronary angiogram via catheterization depends on why you are having it done.
If you are having it done for chest pain or strongly suspected coronary artery disease, then consider the catheterization. Otherwise CTA or stress echocardiography is an option. The dye used in both is the same. In any case, hydration is key to protecting kidneys

In brief: Depends on why

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology