My spouse has just been diagnosed with ocular melanoma. What can I do to reassure him?

Specialist. Make sure he is seen and treated by a specialist who takes care of ocular melanoma all the time.
Advocate for him. I recommend that you learn as much as you can by visiting trusted websites such as the one from the national cancer institute (www.Cancer.Gov/cancertopics/ pdq/treatment/intraocularmelanoma) and the ocular melanoma foundation (www.Ocularmelanoma.Org). The important thing is that he was diagnosed and hopefully the tumor is small. His life is worth more than the potential loss of his eye.
Treatable. Ocular melanoma is rare, and serious, but treatable. I have taken care of a range of patients with this diagnosis. Treatment usually involves surgical removal of the eye or radiation. A thorough evaluation includes ct of liver to make sure it has not spread. If so, additional chemotherapy might be necessary. At a center that takes care of these patients, there will be plenty of support!