Can I take my newborn into public?

Dr. Stephen Hefler
In brief: No
Newborns are more prone to infection so you wouldn't think of having someone with a "cold" or fever be around the baby in your house where you can control who visits.
Therefore, for at least the first few weeks during seasons other than winter (when there's fewer infections around) and for longer during the winter season, no malls, supermarkets, airports & the like. Walks and drives are fine.

In brief: No
Dr. Stephen Hefler
Dr. Stephen Hefler
Dr. Arthur Torre
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma
However: newborns are very vulnerable to infections especially in the first 2 months of life until they begin to form their own immune system to fight infections.
You do have to take you newborn into public just to get home from the hospital. Limit exposure to crowds; avoid people or other children who are sick.

Dr. Arthur Torre
Dr. Arthur Torre